You may ask, when is the right time to clear out that air duct? Since dust and dirt flows inside the house every day, it may stuck and accumulate in the ventilation ducts which could lead to foul odors. There are ideal times where you know you need to clean the ducts such as before moving to your new home. This is very important if you know that the previous owners have pets. The smell of the pets may still remain inside the place and cleaning out the ducts could help eliminate the odor. Here are some tips to know when the proper time to clean the air ducts is.
- After purchasing a house and before moving in.
- It must be cleaned at least once every year especially if you own pets or if someone inside the household experiences allergies and breathing difficulties on a daily basis.
- In a regular household, it must be done once every 3 to 5 years.
You can start cleaning by following these steps:
- Use the ladder to reach the grates of the air duct so you will be able to remove them.
- Using the wet rag and the long handled brush, make sure you clean the grates properly.
- Closely inspect the grates if it needed new paint, if yes then proceed with painting.
- With the help of the duct tape, attached together the broomstick and one end of the hose.
- Go back up the ladder and push the vacuum hose inside the duct with the help of the broomstick.
- You can then start the vacuum cleaner to suck dust and debris inside.
- If there are remaining debris, use the towels and rags and don’t forget to mop the floor after for any droppings.
- You can put back the grates after making sure you have cleaned everything inside.