- Before touching anything, make sure that the dryer is unplugged from both sources - electric and gas. In the case of a gas dryer, the gas must be turned off.
- Take the dryer out until it has reached the limit of its vent extension. That should be around 1 and a half up to 2 feet.
- Then you will be able to see the vent clamp located at the back of the dryer measuring 4 inches. Loosen it with the aid of a nut driver or screwdriver.
- Take the vent out of the dryer.
- Using your hand or you can wear a protective glove if you can, reach into the back as far as you can go. Take out any buildup or lint that you might touch or encounter along the way. If you want to make sure everything will be cleaned, use a vacuum cleaner since it can be inserted inside and reach deep into the back. It is also more effective in sucking out the lint.
- Take the vent tubing that you separated from the dryer and reach inside. There are lint buildup that should be cleared away as well. You may also use the vacuum to clean it out or other dryer vent cleaning tools that you have.
- Be sure to double check the ends since it is where the lint are accumulating and not in the middle. In rare cases where there are lint build up in the middle, it can be taken out with the help of a plumbing snake. A straight path inside could also mean you can reach into the back using a dowel or a coat hanger. This is not recommended though especially if you are not careful. The hanger might tear into the material which could cause leaks when used. As an alternative, you can use the hose attachment of your vacuum cleaner.
- You may put the clamp back into the vent and reattach it. Make sure that the clamp is tight before putting it back inside the dryer where it originally came from.
- The vent located at the house’s exterior must also be taken out. Look for caulking and screws located in the cover. To remove the caulk, just use a razor knife. Check if there is a sleeve inside which is about one foot long. If there is, you can take it out just by sliding.
- With the help of a vacuum cleaner or dryer vent cleaning tools, reach into the exhaust of the dryer and make sure there is no lint or buildup left. You can also use your hands to reach in or use the hose of the vacuum.
- You can now plug the equipment back and turn on the gas.
- Let it operate for at least 10 minutes to extract any loose dirt.
- Make sure there is no obstruction at the outside vent before reattaching the vent.
In order for an equipment or machine to work properly, it must be maintained and cleaned every once in a while just like the dryer vent with the help of cleaning tools. If you bought your dryer a year or two ago then it is high time that you clean it. If this is your first time to clean then follow the instructions below.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.