Signs that mean your dryer vent needs cleaning
If you are going to buy spring cleaning tools, do not forget to buy dryer vent cleaning tools. Do not wait for signs to manifest before you clean your dryer vents. It is good practice to clean the lint trap regularly to ensure that your home is safe. However, there are signs that will tell you that your dryer vent is due for cleaning.
- Clothing does not dry completely after the normal drying cycle has been completed.
- After the drying cycle, you can smell a musty odor.
- Clothes feel unusually hot to the touch after the drying cycle
- You will notice that the dryer vent hood flap does not open properly as it has been designed to do so for the operation
- You will notice debris on the outside of the dryer vent opening
- Drying time often takes longer than usual.
- Excessive heat is generated while the dryer is in operation
- You will notice large amounts of lint accumulating in the lint trap
- You will notice visible signs of lint and debris on the lint filter
- Excessive odor is often noticed from the dryer sheets during the drying cycle.
- The dryer vent has not been cleaned for more than year.
There are ways to ensure that your clothes dryer is safe. Cleaning the lint trap will ensure the efficiency and safety of your clothes dryer. However, this may not be enough be to prevent a fire from sparking on the dryer vent. Plastic and vinyl flexible ducts should be replaced with a semi-rigid metal transition duct that does not easily catch fire. These transition ducts are located between the dryer and the main vent which is normally located inside a wall. The opening of the dryer vent is often found outside the home and it is important to ensure that it is free from debris. It also makes sense to make sure that the opening is not covered by dried leaves, twigs and bushes. You can clean the dryer vent on your own if you have the proper dryer vent cleaning tools but sometimes, it is better to let the cleaning be handled by experts. Professional services have more advanced dryer vent cleaning tools and they can do a faster and more efficient job. Aside from cleaning, they will also inspect the system to ensure its safety.