Structural epoxy is the most widely used adhesives for different structures because of the strength and the ability of structural epoxy to resist elements of nature like extreme weather conditions and temperature. Structural epoxy is also capable of resisting solvents.
With the use of structural epoxies, the following are possible:
- Construction is simplified by increasing the strength for load transmission.
- Structural epoxies also prevent material from getting worn out. It likewise prevents failure by having a uniform transmission of loads or stress distribution. It also helps in maintaining the structural integrity of the building. It does not weaken the structure’s mechanical or thermal parts.
- With the use of epoxies, you can save production costs. Epoxies can be used instead of conventional fasteners like rivets or screws.
- Epoxies will save you material cost and it also saves weight. The material thickness is being reduced while maintaining the same load transmission features.
- Epoxies allow the diverse combination of substrate which includes metal or glass, metal or wood and metal or plastics.
How to use structural epoxies
When using epoxies, always clean the surfaces to which you will be applying the adhesive. In order to achieve the best results, clean the surfaces using acetone or isopropyl alcohol. The cleansing chemical that you will be using will be dependent upon the substrate. In applying epoxies for most materials, especially with metals, it might be necessary to apply physical or chemical abrading.
Be guided by the following safety precautions when using epoxies:
- Wear protective eye gears, rubber gloves and ensure that there is adequate ventilation when applying epoxies.
- Apply epoxies only when the air and surface temperatures are above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Adhesion will be affected when epoxy is used at low temperature.
- Before using the adhesive, make sure to read all the instructions on the manufacturer’s label.
- Dispose all the unused or excess materials properly.
- Always make use of clean equipments. Any foreign chemical residues will contaminate the structural epoxy.
- Mix small amounts of epoxy at a time.
- Mix until the color of the mixture is uniform throughout.
- Apply the epoxy on the material before it gets hot.