How to repair air leaks
Air leaks in a compressed air system often result into a substantial increase in energy consumption. Leaks are often difficult to locate without the right equipment. Air compressor repair Toronto usually makes use of ultrasonic leak detection to recognize the high frequency hissing sounds that air leaks generate. Air leaks often occur at joints and connections and sometimes, a simple tightening at the connections can stop the leaks. However, there are also cases wherein more complex repairs may be warranted. In order to check for air leaks at the fitting, the following steps can be followed:
- The air compressor must be turned on while soapy water is sprayed around the compressor fittings. Bubbles will appear when there are air leaks.
- Release the pressure by pulling on the stop valves.
- A wrench can be used to remove the fittings where the soapy bubbles appeared
- The threads of the fitting can be wrapped with Teflon tape, refastened in place and tightened with the wrench
- The air compressor should be recharged again to check whether there are fittings that need to be repaired.
- If there is still a drop in pressure, the best option is to call for professional help through Air compressor repair Toronto.
Best practices to ensure the efficiency of the air compressor
Proper maintenance will not only improve the performance and efficiency of the air compressor, it will also minimize the need for Air compressor repair Toronto. There must be a plan in place for the scheduled cleaning of air intake filters to minimize pressure drops. Intake air is usually contaminated with moisture, dust and other contaminants and a buildup in the internal components of the compressor can result into premature wear and reduction on the compressor’s capacity. It is also critical to regulate the pressure of the compressor if a full system pressure for an end user is not necessary. This will minimize leaks as well as artificial demand for compressed air. Energy and money are also wasted when the air compressor runs continuously without any demand from the end user.
The possibility of reducing the delivery settings of compressed air can be explored by Air compressor repair Toronto by determining the pressure requirements of the pneumatic equipment and the pressure drop in the line between the compressed air generation and utilization points. If there is a minority of users of high pressure than the rest of the plant, it would be a good option to put these operations into their own system so that the rest of the system will be able to work on lower pressure and reduce energy costs.