What you would need
- 2lb of leg of lamb (although you can also use beef, veal or chicken) boned and cut into average thin slices
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2lbs of ground lamb
- Lamb fat (optional but if you are health conscious, you can scrap this out from the list)
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 3 cups of processed and liquefied onions
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 minced tomato
- 1 tbsp ground red pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp thyme
How to prepare doner Toronto
When all of your ingredients are ready, it is then time for you to create your very own doner at home. Here are the steps:
- Remove any remaining bits of skin especially the bones from your preferred meat. Cut the meat into serving sizes. The slices should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. To make the meat tenderer, you can pound it with meat tenderizer or you can sprinkle the meat with powder tenderizer.
- Trim the meat when you are satisfied with the thickness.
- The next thing you should prepare for your doner Toronto is its marinade. Combine the onion juice, salt, pepper, olive oil and milk. Mix well.
- Get your pieces of meat and soak them in your marinade mix.
- Leave the meat in the marinade overnight.
- Get the ground meat and add it with salt and pepper including the spicy sauce.
- Knead the ground meat and the mixture of spices then shape it into round one.
- Place the meat strips on the ground meat then cover them in plastic wrap. Place the meet in the freezer overnight.
- The next day, remove the meat from the freezer 45 minutes before cutting it. You can use a meat cutter to shred the meat or you can also use an ordinary knife.
- Fry the meat in a non-stick pan if you don’t have a doner Toronto kebab broiler. Fry both sides for 3-4 minutes for each side.
- After frying, wrap the meat in pita bread or any flat bread of your choice. You can also add lettuce shreds, cabbage strips, tomato and onion slices. You can pair it with your favorite beverage for a complete Turkish homemade snack.