- All adjustments are inputted and saved with a part number in the computer so that wire bending will come up in the same way the next time that the part number is loaded to reduce setup times for future runs.
- Since adjustments are made on a computer program and not on the bender, the machine tools used and setup times are reduced.
Performance characteristics of CNC wire benders
No hand tools are required with CNC wire benders which minimize tweaking time to accommodate variations in material hardness. New setup on the CNC wire benders will take 30 minutes or less but setup for an already programmed run with no difference in outside diameters will likely take as little as 5 minutes. The machine operator can program close to optimal tool positions from the beginning instead of using trial and error with hand tools. As a result, initial part setup generates minimal wastage. Tool positions and forces can be saved and loaded to achieve exactly the same results in future runs. During the production run, CNC wire benders generate no part variations that will eventually wind up in the scrap bins. The issue on the amount of scrap is very important for companies that make use of expensive materials for repeated short runs.
Factors to consider when choosing CNC wire benders
- CNC wire benders should offer a wide range of bending capabilities with the ability of handling different kinds of materials from the basic stainless materials to format wire, tube and flat-stock in sizes ranging from .8mm to 16mm.
- Service and diagnostics depend on the manufacturer since there are those who provide onsite support using modern video cameras shipped together with the machine so as to reduce service calls. On-screen diagnostics are fairly common today so that information on the state of the machine, instructions and alarm messages can be known in real time.
- Good basic machine designs tend to minimize the number of components used which means less friction to overcome, less wear and tear and less energy consumed. Standard machine designs for CNC wire benders tend to run longer and more reliably.
- Safety is a major concern with CNC wire benders that moves quickly and quietly since people do not expect machines that will make little or hardly any noise. Perimeter fencing, emergency stop buttons or light barriers are recommended.