Why medical foam is an outstanding material for packaging healthcare products
Medical foam products boast of the following advantages in providing ultimate protection to healthcare products during transit and storage.
- Medical foam does not transmit moisture which makes it ideal for packaging.
- Outstanding protection is provided for fragile and highly delicate items because medical foam products can be fabricated to the exact shape and design of the item to keep it place while absorbing impact and vibrations.
- Critical electronic devices, assemblies and equipment used in the healthcare industry which is sensitive to static are given the right kind of protection through medical foam products. The industry contains a relatively wide range of medical foam which is used in protective packaging like polyurethane foam with densities of 1.5 to 6.
- Medical foam products are easily fabricated and transformed using innovative technologies like laser and water cutting, hot wire cutting, CNC routing, thermoforming, profiling and slitting.
- Medical foam products are not only used for packaging since they are also extensively used for wound dressing.
Medical foam products for wound dressing
Before the emergence of medical foam products for wound dressing, hydrocolloid dressings were extensively used for fast wound healing but it has drawbacks that required the development of a more advanced and unique wound dressing. To those who are not familiar with hydrocolloid dressings, it looks like pus or an infection and has a characteristic odor that can be quite offensive. When the dressing dissolves in the wound, it is rather difficult to remove from cavity and undermined wounds. The initial presentation of medical foam products for wound dressing addressed the drawbacks of hydrocolloid dressings because it solved disintegration, odor and ease of removal issues. Medical foam products like hydrophilic foam maintain its aesthetic features and are relatively superior in their ability to absorb exudates. Hydrophilic foam proved to be a practical alternative for wound dressings where high absorbing capacities were required.
Medical foam products for therapeutic support
Medical foam products are widely used in orthotics and prosthetics, braces, splints and collars, buoyancy aids and for therapeutic pads, cushions and support. Different densities of closed cell polyethylene foam and open cell polyurethane foam enables manufacturers to develop specific foam grades to address customer’s specifications. With the various innovations in the fabrication process, complex shapes and designs can easily be achieved which addresses the specific needs of the healthcare industry. The flexibility and versatility of medical foam has allowed for the development of specialized medical foam products to offer a high degree of comfort to patients.