The tactical vehicle outfitters used by military personnel are constantly being challenged with extreme environments as well as temperature conditions. That is why one of the most important component is attaining operational success is through proper maintenance of military vehicles. Here are some insights on how to effectively maintain one’s military vehicles.
- Describe your role as well as the company. What does your position expect from you? If you are a retired Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers then you will perhaps be responsible in repairing, maintaining, overhauling as well as in servicing all of the military equipment including every type of vehicle.
- Know the best ways in monitoring your system. Here are some of the ways: OR & SA techniques, monitoring check sheets, built in test equipment, critical path analysis and performance audit.
- How frequently does your vehicle needs to be checked? What is the life span of your various vehicles? It should be part of the design feature that the period of maintaining your vehicles are spaced far apart from each other. It will also typically depend on the type of terrain and the prevailing climatic conditions in the area. There are some systems which will need more frequent attention in mountains and extreme temperature environments and deserts. The lifespan is related to the life of the main components like the transmission, engine and the bod condition. Generally 12 to 16 years is just the time wherein vehicles have to be replaced since in this time, technology will get obsolete.
- How do you ensure that the vehicle repair and maintenance is effective? The maintenance of the vehicle should begin at its early stage of selection for its induction into service. Maintainability as well as reliability trials happen during the start. Having the right tills, correct training and test equipment as well as strict inventory control will contribute in the maximization of the economy. There is also an appropriate time in which the vehicles will be inducted from service and its downtime will become unacceptable.
- Here are some of the ways in which the military can make maintenance procedures much more efficient: outsource non-critical repairs, echeloning of repairs, replace forward repairs, and import substitution of spares and good training of repair and crew personnel.