Every household owner will at some point have to renovate his house. Often times, the bathroom, kitchen and basement are considered to be big renovation projects. Kitchen renovation Toronto has especially been a project that most homeowners are looking forward to do. There are a lot of different reasons why home owners renovate their homes. Aesthetic and practical reasons come into play.
However, if you have decided to renovate your kitchen, what are the things that you need to consider? Here they are:
- Eliminate wasted steps. Think about where and how you use your various kitchen utensils. Store bowls near breakfast foods or near the breakfast table. Keep the plastic containers and wraps in a single handy spot near a work surface so that you can easily wrap leftovers. Locate the flatware and dishware near the dishwasher so that there will be ease in the process of unloading kitchen utensils.
- Design wide walkways. Paths in your kitchen should be at least three feet wide. Paths that are within the cooking zone should be at least 42 inches wide for a kitchen with one cook while 48 inches wider for a two cook kitchen. When you are in the stage of planning, adjust the kitchen islands as well as peninsulas accordingly.
- Direct traffic. If you want your kitchen renovation in Toronto to be child-friendly, keep the cook top out of traffic areas so that kids will not catch the handles and cause spills when running in the kitchen. Also ensure that the refrigerator is made accessible to the passersby and the people working in the cleanup and cooking areas.
- Look for the right height of the microwave. The best location and height for a microwave oven will depend on the chef and also on the degree of child-friendliness desired when considering kitchen renovation in Toronto. For adults, 15 inches and above countertop level is already a great microwave height. For children, a below-countertop setup will be much safer and more suitable.
- Stay clear from corners. In order to make your appliance doors and cabinet fully functional, you need to plan space for the clearance and swing direction of the door in your kitchen. Also, keep the appliances away from the corners and ensure that the doors will not bang to each other if they are opened at the same time.
- Determine the function of the island. When it comes to the kitchen islands, function is considered next to form. If you want to eat and cook on kitchen islands, you have to plan enough space so that the cook top will be safely separated from the dining area.
- Plan your landing space. When designing your kitchen, you should allow 15 inches of countertop on every side of the refrigerator and cook top. It is also important to have a landing space near the microwave.
- Consider the countertops. Those who are into cooking will require more counter space. This is ideally in between the range and the sink. Incorporating two countertop heights will make baking much easier and will also help kids who are involved in the preparation of meal.