For the machinery to work on its full potential, it is essential to know your band saw parts and their functions. By learning every single detail and how the band saw parts work will also help you troubleshoot when they malfunction.
On one side of the bandsaw, you will find:
- Quick tension lever
- Tracking knob
- Tracking lock lever
- Blade tension scale
- Blade tension handwheel
- Guide post elevating handwheel
- Guide post lock knob
- Upper bearing guides
- Rear rail
- Pulley alignment hub
- Table tilt scale
- Table tilt handwheel
- Upper dust port
- Lower dust port
- Motor handle
- Motor lock handle
The other side comprises of:
- Upper and lower door
- Tracking window
- Door catch
- Guide post
- Resaw fence
- Miter slot
- A safety key above the magnetic switch
- Guide tube
- Foot break
It is the prototypical 14 inches bandsaw wherein the functions are:
- Frame – serves as the support for all the band saw parts and components.
- Upper wheel – is the adjustable wheel that helps the tension and tracking parts like the tracking knob and lock lever as well as the blade scale and tension handwheel.
- Lower wheel – is the one responsible to power the wheels since it connects the motor by the pulley alignment hub.
- Tires – for the blades to run on, the tires serve as the rubber on the wheels which provide the traction.
- Blades – are the steel blade used for the cuts.
- Guide blocks – make sure that the blades remain intact even while it is on cutting operations. It prevents backward and side-to-side motion. It has thrust bearing and lower guide assembly.
- Table – is the platform where the stock is placed to be cut.
- Fence – supports ripping and a rigid guide that is responsible for distance setting.
In using the band saw machine, you should think of your safety by removing all types of jewelry. Also, remove loose clothing and make sure the hair is confined. Use eye protection as well. Make sure that all adjustments are tightly secured before you start cutting.