There are different types of plastic and flexible tubing used for various applications such as construction, scientific, industrial and many others. These tubing can be:
- Radiator hose
Flexible tubing is usually used as a medium for gases and fluids but it can also be used to provide housing for wires and cables. While metal pipes are used for the same purposes, they are more durable and resistant despite changing temperature. The down side is it is easily corroded and is not flexible.
Here are some of the most common types of metal pipe and tubing:
- Stainless steel
- Cast iron
- EMT conduit
- Ductile iron
- FMC conduit
Tube Cutting Machines versus Tube Cutters
Tube cutters are those devices that are considered portable or hand-operated while tube cutting machines are those that can perform heavy and industrial type of tasks. Tube cut machine has a motor and in some cases, an air compressor. It helps the machine perform mechanical actions. While other machines employ thermal or laser during cutting operations.
Some tube cutters’ physical appearance is very different from the cable or wire cutters. There are those that are wrench-like or scissor-like while others are clamp-like. Here are the general classifications of tube and pipe cutters:
- Spring action. This cutter is used on metal tubes and pipes because it is quite powerful. It usually looks like a clamp but it comes with a blade than can cut through the tubing easily.
- Ratchet action. This type of tube cutter resembles the cable or pipe cutter. One hand may be used in squeezing the tool’s jaw together and pass through the tube by cutting. These cutters are smaller in size thereby making it impossible to use on bigger tubes.
- Heavy duty cutters. These are most commonly used in wide tubes and pipes as well as soil pipes.
- Hinged. This type of cutter needs a high torque to be able to cut through hard metals such as steel.
- Enclosed. Because of its enclosed frame, it creates better torque during the cutting process.
- Conduit. This is more commonly used in tubing or pipes with wirings or cables inside. It cuts through the tube or pipe without harming what is enclosed inside.
- Square cut. Used on steel or stainless steel to create square cuts.
- Telescoping. This may be used either on a flexible or rigid tubes. It is ideal to be used in cramped spaces.
Other features that a tube cutter may have are feed screws, guide bars, sharpening blade, self-feeding, reamer and a spare wheel. For tube cutters that are hand held, general capacity is around 12 inches.
Tubing is considered more diverse compared to wiring or cable. Tubing has a range of flexible to rigid and it sometimes needs cutting machine and devices that are able to perform complex cuts.
Portable tube cutters can perform various cutting actions on different tubing materials and sizes while a tube cut machine can perform work with higher volume and it employs advanced techniques.